Lil Boulder Kids Climbing Wall Installation Guide
The installation of our kids climbing walls requires a flat area on a wall supported by studs (wooden beams that support your home). It is important to ensure that the wall being used can support the weight and pressure of the kids climbing wall panels. Consult a professional if you have any doubts about the structural integrity of your home wall.
YOUR KIDS HOME CLIMBING WALL INCLUDES:
- 2 x 4ft by 4ft Lil Boulder kids climbing wall panels
- 25 x kids rock climbing holds
- 1 x drywall installation kit:
- 12 x heavy duty wood screws for drywall installation
- 1 x Spider Drive drill bit for screws
- 25 x rock climbing hold bolts
Note: this kids climbing wall kit is designed for drywall installation. For masonry walls (concrete, brick, cinder block), please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Stud finder
- Drill / Driver
- Measuring tape
- A friend :)
STEP 1: CHOOSE A LOCATION FOR YOUR KIDS HOME CLIMBING WALL
Find an 8ft x 4ft vertical space on a wall in your home. Use the stud finder to ensure there are at least 2 separate studs behind your drywall in this location.
STEP 2: INSTALL PANELS
Each of our home climbing wall panels must be securely screwed to at least 2 (ideally 3) studs behind drywall, using at least 4, and ideally 6 screws.
- Start with the bottom climbing wall panel.
- Place the bottom panel on top of the baseboard. Or measure and hold in place at a desired height of your choice (making sure to leave at least 8ft of vertical space from your desired height).
- Each climbing wall panel has 4 framing beams attached (two horizontal, two vertical). Use a pencil to mark the location of the two horizontal framing beams of the Lil Boulder panel on your home wall (see diagram below).
- Use the stud finder to confirm your vertical stud locations. Again, use a pencil to mark the location of these studs.
- Use the drill and wood screws to attach the kids climbing wall panel into the studs. See below for an example of how to attach a panel. Green circles represent wood screws.
- Line up the top climbing wall panel on your wall, directly above the bottom panel.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to install the panel.
STEP 3: SET YOUR ROUTE
Each of our Kids Home Climbing Walls comes with 25 large kids rock climbing holds. Our climbing holds are coated with a light layer of chalk to prevent damage during shipping. Simply soak the holds in soapy water, and let them dry before attaching to your wall. Holds can be attached to the panels using an Allen key or Allen head drill bit. You can also buy additional kids rock climbing holds.
There’s no right or wrong way to set a route. Work with your child to set a route that suits their height and level!
Example approach: Setting an easy day 1 route
- Find two smaller climbing holds to use as footholds. Attach a few foot holds along the bottom rows of your kids home rock climbing wall.
- Ask your child to stand on the floor or on your rock climbing crash mat and reach as high as they can on your Lil Boulder kids climbing wall. Note this height. Place a few handholds around this height.
- Ask your child to climb up on the rock wall using two handholds and two footholds.
- Have your child let go of one handhold and reach out. Note the next few holes that they can easily reach. Attach handholds here.
- Place a few footholds lower down in the gaps.
- Ask your child to climb higher, using two handholds and two footholds.
- Repeat steps 2-5 until you reach the top of your kids home climbing wall. Keep 2-3 climbing holds aside.
- Have your child climb up and down the rock climbing wall to test your route. If your child is struggling at any point, add one of your extra holds to make the route easier.
We strongly recommend adding a gymnastics or rock climbing crash mat under the wall for safety purposes. We also recommend parental supervision for children while using the wall.
WE’RE HERE TO HELP!
Need a more personal touch while installing your Lil Boulder kids climbing wall? Set up a complimentary call with our team of experts who can walk you through installation, route setting, safety, and any other questions you might have 😊
Set up a call: https://calendly.com/lilboulderteam/30min